Should we be all that surprised? Years of poor inadequate substandard catechesis and the failure of bishops and priests to effectively teach their flocks, and monitor the quality of CCD programs in their dioceses and parishes, have produced such ridiculously uneducated Catholics. They might know that Big Oil is evil, or that Conscience is King, or that being opposed to so-called gay marriage is discrimination, but far too many can't even define the Immaculate Conception, or know the mysteries of the Rosary, or even believe that Mass on Sundays is an obligation.
I've come to the conclusion that the quiz was unfair to today's American Catholic. The questions were too deep, too theologically advanced for their level of understanding and comprehension. Shoot - that was probably too confusing; let me rewrite the preceding sentence. The quiz was really really hard, with long words making them think about something for more than three seconds. Howzat?
Thus, I've come up with a new quiz, a combination of Biblical facts and Catholic teaching, that I feel is better suited for their aptitude. Several "True or False" questions, with most being of the single answer variety. We're told to meet people where they are, and by doing that, we can them draw them up to the place we wish to take them. That's what I tried to do here.
Feel free to cut and paste the questions and quiz the family member or close friend who you suspect might still be Catholic. Then, based on their result, you'll know how much work and effort (and prayer!) it'll take to properly catechize them.
Here we go! (Answers at end)
1) What letter does the word 'Catholic' begin with?0 correct - check for a pulse.
2) What did the Romans use to nail Jesus to the cross?
3) God gave the Ten Commandments to Moses. Moses then gave the Ten Commandments to the Jews. How many commandments did God give the Jews?
4) Sex with a person other than your spouse is okay is you really really like them. True or false?
5) What was the color of the Golden Calf?
6) The Bible is comprised of the Old Testament and the New Testament. Which one came first?
7) Jesus preached against climate change. True or false.
8) What day of the week does Good Friday land on?
9) One of Jesus' miracles was the feeding of the 5,000. How many people ate that day?
10) In what country is Rome, Italy located?
11) Who wrote St Paul's Letter to the Galatians?
12) Moses and the Hebrews wandered in the desert for four decades before entering the Promised Land. How many years were they lost?
13) God is a Democrat. True or false.
14) In Jesus' parable of the lost sheep, a shepherd has 100 sheep, and one goes missing. How many did not go missing?
15) The current Pope is Benedict XVI. How many previous popes named Benedict have there been?
16) Catholics cast their vote for pope every six years. True or false?
17) Who won the 2009 American Idol contest, Kris Allen or Adam Lambert?
18) Jesus is the Son of God, and His mother is Mary. Who's His father?
19) Jesus died, was buried, and was reincarnated on the third day. True or false?
20) (Read this question aloud only once!) You're distributing Eucharist at four consecutive Masses. At the first Mass, 37 people receive in the hand and 12 receive orally. The next week, 41 receive in the hand and 19 receive orally. The following week, 46 receive in the hand and 9 receive orally. On the final Sunday, 42 receive in the hand and 14 receive orally. How old is the Eucharistic Minister?
1 correct - you watch too much American Idol!
2-5 correct - you know as much as a slightly warm corpse.
6-10 correct - you know as much as a newly baptized infant.
11-15 correct - you know as much as a member of the LCWR.
16-19 correct - you know as much as Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden....combined!
20 correct - congratulations! You're smarter than the average American Catholic!
Answers: 1) C 2) Nails 3) 10 4) False 5) Gold 6) O.T. 7) False 8) Friday 9) 5,000 10) Italy 11) St Paul 12) 40 13) False 14) 99 15) 15 16) False 17) Kris Allen 18) God 19) False 20) Really?